Sunday 19 September 2010

An Event and Rajma Salad

When I saw Nupur of One Hot Stove hosting BB7 – Iron Chef Edition event, I wasn’t sure what ingredient to choose. There are so many good ones

We had a couple over for dinner and movie (at home). P’s birthday was on a weekday. So we decided we’d call them on Friday. We thought once V sleeps (at around 9), we can have dinner and watch a movie. P and me wanted to do this for some time now, but never got around to do it.

We decided to make Rajma curry (as one of the dishes).

Rajma… I’ve always loved the simple Rajma Chawal from my college days. My Punjabi friend used to get it in her tiffin. It didn’t look or taste as if it had a hundred and one masalas or anything like that. I wasn’t much into cooking in those days, so never bothered to ask her for the recipe. Now when I think back, I really miss it sometimes. I’ve looked every where online but haven’t found the recipe. If any one knows it, please let me know. I’d really appreciate it.

Since I was making Rajma, I decided to cook some extra Rajma as I’ve been wanting to try out the Spiced Kidney Bean Sandwich recipe from Sailus’s Food.

Though I can make Rajma in my own way, I thought I should get a new recipe from another blogger so its different from what I usually make. After “Googling”, when I saw this Pujabi Rajma Masala recipe on Nandini’s Food Page, I knew I had my recipe. And I was right. It was tasty to say the least.

If using tinned Rajma, drain and rinse well. If using the dry one, soak in lots of water for atleast 8 to 10 hours and pressure cook with a little salt on high for 1 whistle and then on medium-low for about 20 mins (5 whistles). I did it this way and the rajma was really soft. I could mash it between my fingers. I like it like that.


Punjabi Rajma Curry

I followed the Punjabi Rajma Masala word-to-word (ingredient-to-ingredient). So I am not re-writing the recipe.

I tweaked the sandwich recipe. I made a salad and we had it with cheese toast. So here’s my version of the Rajma Salad.

Rajma Salad:
1.5 cups Cooked Rajma
1 cup – Finely Chopped Red Onion
1 cup – Deseeded and Finely Chopped Salad Tomatoes
1.5 cups – Finely Chopped Cucumber
10 sprigs – Finely Chopped Coriander
2 tsp – Chat Masala Powder
A few Coriander leaves for garnish

Combine Rajma, onion, tomatoes, finely chopped coriander and chat masala and toss well.

Dish the required amount into a bowl, garnish with coriander leaves and serve.

P, who isn’t a big rajma fan, loved both the dishes.


Rajma Salad

This is my entry to Nupur’s BB7 – The Iron Chef Edition event.
Cooking, Event, Salad, Weekday Dinner.

2 comments:

  1. Both recipes look wonderful- I am a huge fan of rajma too. Thanks for participating in my event.

    ReplyDelete
  2. both the dishes looks wonderful ...never tried rajam salad ,looks superb ...came though nupur's blog n i am so happy to visit u ..
    if u get time do visit my blog

    Satya
    http://www.superyummyrecipes.com

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for dropping by and leaving your comments. They mean a lot to me and will help me improve my blog.