I have always liked taking part in food blog events. But I never had the time to be a regular. Now I’ve decided to take part in more events. But that doesn’t mean I will take part in all the events. I will take part in something only if I feel I will genuinely enjoy making a dish for the event.
Healing Foods was started by Siri of Siri's Corner. This month, its hosted by Priya of Mharo Rajasthan's Recipes, the topic being "Beetroot".
When I was a kid, I never liked the "look" of beets. But once I had Beetroot Pulusu and I was hooked onto it after that. When came to the UK, I couldn't find the beets in the supermarkets. I got the pre-cooked and preserved varieties. But not the raw type.
Some one told us about this new Asian shop. I was so excited when I saw the raw beets there. I had to get them and cook. From then, I kept getting beets every now and then.
1 Kg beetroot - peeled and cubed into 1/2 inch pieces.
2 big onions - chopped finely
5 tbsp chopped tomato
1 tbsp ginger garlic paste
1 tsp chilli powder
1 tsp coriander powder
1/2 tsp cumin powder
1 tsp mustard seeds
1 tsp cumin seeds
10 to 15 curry leaves
salt to taste
- Heat oil in a pressure cooker. Once the oil is hot, add the mustard seeds.
- When they pop, add the cumin seeds and let them splutter.
- Then add the curry leaves and fry for 1 min.
- Now add the onions and fry till they turn brown.
- Add the ginger garlic paste and fry till the raw smell disappears
- Add the chopped tomato and fry till the curry comes together.
- Now add the raw spices (Chilli Powder, Coriander Powder, Cumin Powder) and salt and mix well.
- Add the beets and 1/2 cup water. Pressure cook for 3 whistles or till the beetroot is done.
- If needed, boil uncovered to get the consistency required.