Tuesday 14 September 2010

Bhindi Fry

Bhindi, Bendakaya, Okra - Not a favourite with many. But it is one of my favourite vegetables. I can eat it literally in any form. Bhindi fry is my all time favourite.

So when I saw that Kiran of Sumadhura was hosting Veggie / Fruit a month that was started by Priya of Mharo Rajasthan's Recipes, I knew I had to take part in it. Its a vegetable I really enjoy cooking and eating.


Cutting fresh Bhindi can get very very slimy. I use Frozen Cut Bhindi. This saves my time and my hands. Yes... I am lazy.

Today, I am sharing with you a recipe that my pinni(mom's sister) told me. According to me, she makes the best Bhindi Fry.


Ingredients
1 Packet Frozen Cut Bhindi (400 gm)
1 Onion - Chopped
3 Dry Red Chillies - Broken / Torn into 3 to 4 pcs each
1 tsp Mustard Seeds
2 tsp Cumin Seeds
10 - 15 Curry Leaves
1 tsp Garlic Paste (I don’t like the bite of Garlic. You can replace this with 2 cloves of garlic chopped or crushed)
1/4 tsp Turmeric Powder
1 tbsp Chilli Powder (It'll be quiet spicy)
Salt to Taste
2 to 3 tbsp oil

Method:
  1. Heat Oil in a Pan. When hot, add the Red Chillies and fry for a minute.
  2. Now add the Mustard Seeds and let them splutter. Then add the Cumin Seeds and let them crackle.
  3. Now add the Curry Leaves and fry for another minute.
  4. Add Garlic and fry for a minute.
  5. Then add the Onion and fry till it browns.
  6. Now add the Turmeric Powder and Salt. Mix well.
  7. Add the Bhindi and fry till done. Some people like to cook it open so it really shrinks. I like to cook mine covered. It cooks faster (I told you I am lazy) and you end up using less oil.
  8. Once done, add the chilli powder and mix well.

Serve hot with Rice & Dal or Chapati. I love eating it with plain curd. Try it. You might like it.

Sometimes, I avoid the onions. It tastes great both ways. But P likes it with onions. So that's what I end up making most of the time.


I am already looking forward for the round-up as I would love to see what else I can make with this vegetable.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for dropping by and leaving your comments. They mean a lot to me and will help me improve my blog.