Thursday 24 March 2011

Mullangi / Radish Sambar

V was "cracking a joke" yesterday. He was calling me "ammamma (mom's mom)" and P "tata (mom's dad)" and laughing. Even though when we were telling him we were amma and naanna (mom and dad in telugu), he would call us ammamma and tata and laugh. Not that he got confused or anything (he's 2 and half and knows very well who his parents are), he was just "cracking a joke". When we started playing along, he gave up soon.

BTW, his latest is to call me and P by name. If he calls us and we don't listen to him, fourth time, he calls our names and runs – expecting us to chase him. He's really becoming a handful. P keeps telling, he was better off not talking. Can't stop him now. And to think of it, it was P who really wanted V to talk fast.

When Vanessa announced Radish as this month's Veg, the only dish I could think of is Radish Sambar as I don't know anything else that you can make with this vegetable. I don't remember anyone making any other dish with this at home. So for me, Radish is synonymous with Sambar.

For a change, I didn't call my Pinni for this recipe. This is one of those recipes I had written down in my recipe book when I came to UK.


Ingredients:
1 cup Toor Dal
1 (or more) white radish cut into desired shapes (I sliced them round)
1 Onion sliced thinly
3 – 4 Chillies slit length wise
3 tbsp Chopped Tomatoes
1 tsp Tamarind Concentrate
2 tsp Sambar Powder – made a thick paste with water
1/2 tsp Turmeric Powder
1 tsp Mustard Seeds
2 tsp Cumin Seeds
15 to 20 Curry Leaves
2 tbsp Oil
Salt to Taste
Chopped Coriander Leaves to garnish

Method
  1. Pressure cook Toor dal with 3/4th of the Sliced Onion, Chillies and Turmeric Powder in 2 and a half cups water for 3 to 4 whistles. Once the pressure comes down, mash it and leave in the cooker.
  2. In a separate pan, heat the oil and add the Mustard Seeds.
  3. Once they start popping, add the Cumin Seeds and let them crackle.
  4. Now add the Curry Leaves and saute for a minute.
  5. Add the remaining Onion and fry till brown.
  6. Now add the Tomatoes, and fry till the oil separates.
  7. Add the Tamarind Concentrate and fry till it mixes completely.
  8. Add the radish, mix well and fry for 5 minutes.
  9. Put this mixture along with Salt in the pressure cooker and let it cook for 1 to 2 whistles. This is to cook the Radish. So this time depends on the size of the Radish.
  10. Once the pressure comes down, add the Sambar Powder and mix well.
  11. Garnish with Coriander Leaves and serve hot with rice, ghee and papad. Yum.


Note: I use Tamarind Concentrate so my Sambar will be darker in colour. If you are using freshly squeezed tamarind "juice", your colour will be better and you can add the "juice" after you fry the radish.

This goes to the following events:

Vanessa's Veggie / Fruit a Month - Radish that was started by Priya
Mymoonah's A.W.E.D - Indian that was started by DK

ARS C for Colourful Currys


7 comments:

  1. Love radish sambar with hot steaming rite topped with ghee and papads, just mouthwatering here..

    ReplyDelete
  2. A fav of mine adds unique flavor to the sambar,looks delicious.

    ReplyDelete
  3. @Pushpa: Thanks for dropping by and the lovely comment. Its one of my favourites too.

    ReplyDelete
  4. First time here !!! u have excellent space !! Happy to follow u !!

    sambar is one of my fav !!! Looks so inviting and absolutely delicious !!

    ReplyDelete
  5. What a delicious sambar! I have never tried with radish!
    Thanks for sending your recipe and I am glad to discover your very nice blog :-)

    ReplyDelete
  6. @Sravs: Thanks for stopping by.
    @Sweet Artichoke: Its my favourite sambar. Do try it.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for dropping by and leaving your comments. They mean a lot to me and will help me improve my blog.