Friday 21 January 2011

Chicken Vindaloo

Vindaloo – the fiery dish from Goa. I first heard of this about 4 years back when my colleague asked me if I knew how to make it. I was like "What???" He said that its very famous in UK but its like eating chilli powder. So he wanted to know how to make it. I told him I never heard of it.

Traditionally, this is made with pork. But since I don't eat pork or lamb or beef, the only choice I had was chicken. After googling a lot, I found a lot recipes. I followed this one. It wasn't as fiery as its perceived in the UK (or may be its just my taste palettes), but it had a lot of flavour and needless to say, it was very tasty.


Giving due credit to Clyde, here's my tweaked recipe:

Ingredients:
1 KG chicken
2 Onions – roughly chopped
15 Dry Red Chillies
2 tsp Jeera
3/4th tsp Turmeric Powder
5 to 6 tbsp White Vinegar (Distilled Vinegar)
1 tsp Ginger Paste
1 tsp Garlic Paste
10 Peppers
10 cloves
1 inch piece Cinnamon
Salt to Taste
2 tbsp Oil

Method
  1. Grind all the ingredients except Chicken and Oil to a smooth paste.
  2. Marinate the Chicken in the paste. The recipe called for a 24 hour marination. I marinated only for 4 hours.
  3. Heat Oil in a pan. Once the oil is hot, add the chicken and cook till done.
  4. Serve with rice or roti.

We had some left over jeera rice that we had it with. But it was much tastier with plain rice (second helping).

This goes to Flavours of Goa hosted by Oh Taste and See which was started by Simply Sensational Food.


1 comment:

  1. A lot of people here in the US have also asked me about this and I never knew or heard of what Vindaloo was. But this sounds interesting. This is on my list of must tries!!!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for dropping by and leaving your comments. They mean a lot to me and will help me improve my blog.