Wednesday 23 May 2012

Rajma / Red Kidney Beans Masala

Do any of you have Whatsapp on your smart phones? It is an instant messenger available on almost all the Operating Systems(OS) of the smart phones. You need to pay for some OSes and its free on some OSes. I am in love with this app as this allows me to stay in touch with my friends & cousins who are scattered in different parts of the world.

Its like texting - only, this uses wi-fi / 3g to send & receive messages. You can stay in touch through email & phone as well. But I feel this is very convenient as its with me all the time.

Our Cherished World

I have never bought apps till date. I have an Android phone and this app is free for a year on Android. So this July / August when this app expires, this will be the first app I'll be buying. I personally feel its totally worth it and I would recommend this to anyone and everyone.

OK. Why am I going on and on about this app when the title of the post is Rajma Masala? I got this recipe from my friend over Whatsapp. She's a very dear friend of mine. I lost touch once she moved to Delhi. There would be an odd email now and then (most of the time it was from her) but that was it.

Then I asked her if she has Whatsapp and she replied "Yes". I am in constant touch with her ever since and she gave me this recipe when I wanted a simple Rajma dish. I made this before my in-laws visited us and all of us liked it a lot. Thanks Pia for this wonderful recipe.


Serves: 4 - 5

Ingredients
1 cup Dry Rajma / Red Kidney Beans - soaked over night
1 Onion - finely chopped
3 Tomatoes - finely chopped
1 Green Chilli - finely chopped
1 tbsp Ginger Garlic Paste
1 tsp Shahjeera / Caraway Seeds
1/4 tsp Turmeric Powder
1 tsp Coriander Powder
3 cups Water
2 tbsp Oil
Salt to Taste
Chopped Coriander Leaves to garnish

Method
  1. Heat Oil in a pressure cooker. When hot, add the Shahjeera / caraway seeds and let them sizzle.
  2. Now add the Onions and Chilli and fry till golden brown.
  3. Next add the Ginger & Garlic pastes and fry till the raw smell goes.
  4. Add the Salt, Turmeric Powder and Coriander Powder and fry for a few seconds.
  5. Now add the Tomatoes and fry till the masala comes together.
  6. Add the Rajma and mix well.
  7. Add 1 cup water and cook covered (without the pressure / whistle) for about 10 minutes.
  8. Now add the other 2 cups of water and cook (with pressure / whistle) till tender. (It took about 3 whistles).
  9. Let the pressure go down, open and boil till desired consistency.
  10. Garnish with chopped coriander leaves and serve hot with rice / roti.
Our Cherished World

This goes to the following events:
 MLLA#47 started by Susan and guest hosted by Priya.
Show me your HITS started by Sangee and guest hosted by Julie.

Our Cherished World Our Cherished World

2 comments:

  1. Wat a nutritious,healthy and super flavourful rajma masala.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Healthy & nutritious masala,yummy yum!!

    Thanx for linking it to the event..:-)

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for dropping by and leaving your comments. They mean a lot to me and will help me improve my blog.