Wednesday 9 May 2012

Microwave Chivda for Bloghop

When Radhika sent a mail with this month's Blog Hop pairs, I was really pressed for time. I wasn't even sure if I could make something in time from Nayna’s blog. Though I loved most of her recipes, due to time constraints, I chose her Microwave Chivda. It looked very easy to prepare. And I wasn't wrong in my judgement.

I usually use the microwave to boil the potatoes, beetroot and heat up stuff. This was the first ever complete "dish" I prepared in the microwave. Due to this, I couldn't judge my microwave properly and my peanuts were still a bit "kacha" (raw). But I know my mistake now and will adjust the time / method next time. I will update this post then.


I omitted the chillies as I didn't want V to bite into a chilli seed. I added only peanuts as I didn't have the roasted almonds and cashews in my pantry. The end result of the whole dish was very tasty. Its also a healthy, nutritious and low fat snack thats perfect with alcoholic / non-alcoholic drinks and also with your evening cuppa.


Ingredients
250 gms Thin Poha (Beaten Rice)
1 tbsp Roasted Chana Dal
3 tbsp Peanuts
1 tsp Mustard Seeds
1 tsp Chilli Powder
10 Curry Leaves
1/4 tsp Turmeric Powder
1 tbsp + 1 tsp Oil
Salt to taste

Method
  1. Place the Poha in a shallow microwave dish and microwave for 3 minutes, stirring thrice in between. By the end, the poha should be crisp to bite into.
  2. Transfer this into a large bowl.
  3. In the same dish, mix the Peanuts with 1 tsp Oil and microwave for 5 minutes, stirring 3 - 4 times in between. The peanuts should be crunchy to bite.
  4. Now add the Roasted Chana Dal, mix and microwave for another 3 minutes, stirring 3 - 4 times.
  5. Transfer this to the bowl with Poha and mix well.
  6. In another microwave dish, add the 1 tbsp Oil and Mustard Seeds and microwave for 2 minutes stirring once in between.
  7. Now add the Curry Leaves to this, mix and microwave for another minute.
  8. Add the tempering, Turmeric Powder and Chilli Powder to the bowl with Poha and mix well.
  9. Store in an air tight container and enjoy with a hot cuppa.

Note: I used my microwave at 800W to prepare this.

This goes to Blog Hop Wednesdays - Week 17

17 comments:

  1. Wat a guilt free chivda, feel like munching anytime.

    ReplyDelete
  2. chivda looks so perfect n delicious...gr8 n healthy way to use MW
    Super Yummy Recipes

    ReplyDelete
  3. have not eaten chiwda for a long time. will be making it soon

    ReplyDelete
  4. Love to snack on it anytime .Looks great

    ReplyDelete
  5. Lovely clicks that just makes me want to grab off the screen Swetha.

    Tickling Palates
    Event : Fruit Recipes

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thankyou for cooking from simply.food your chivda looks very delicious and tasty.

    ReplyDelete
  7. first time in ur space....loved the microwave version of the chiwda.....loved it absolutely !!!!bookmarked !!!!following ur space now !!! do visit mine in ur free time :-)

    ReplyDelete
  8. so nice way to enjoy the tea time with this chiwda, so easy with MW...lovely clicks dear!!
    Spicy Treats

    ReplyDelete
  9. Great idea dear !! looks wonderful !!

    Ongoing event
    CC:Mom's Recipe

    ReplyDelete
  10. Nice Snacks while working on laptop during office hours. Pass me some please.

    Visit my recipe Banana Lassi - BHW17 during your leisure time.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Easy microwave version. Looks amazing. Nice one.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for dropping by and leaving your comments. They mean a lot to me and will help me improve my blog.