You can eat it instead of rice. It goes extremely well with most of the curries. Especially the spicy non vegetarian ones. Apparently, you are supposed to lactate more if you eat oats. So when I was nursing V, I used to eat oats instead of rice every day. That's when I fell in love with it.
You can make Oats Dosa which is an instant dosa that doesn't require fermentation. You can also make Oats Idli, Oats Dhokla, Oats Chapati etc. I am sure a cookbook can be written on how to use Oats in different foods.
But today, I want to share a recipe that P, V and me like. Its Oats Upma. Its pretty simple, cooks fast (if you dont use too many vegetables).
You do get instant Oats. But the Old fashioned rolled oats are the healthier ones to use.
1 cup Old Fashioned Rolled Oats
1 tsp Mustard Seeds
1 tsp Cumin Seeds
1 tsp Chana Dal
1 Onion finely chopped
1 Chilli slit length wise (adjust)
1 tsp Ginger
1 cup Chopped Mixed Vegetables (I used Carrots, Potatoes and Green Peas)
2 tbsp Oil
2 to 3 cups water
Chopped Coriander to Garnish
- Heat Oil in a pan. Once the oil is hot, add the Mustard Seeds.
- Once the Mustard Seeds splutter, add the Cumin Seeds and let them crackle.
- Now add the Chana Dal and fry till they turn golden taking care not to burn them.
- Now add the Chilli and fry for a minute or two.
- Add the chopped Onion and fry till it browns.
- Add the Ginger and fry for a minute.
- Now add the Vegetables and cook till they are almost done. You might want to add a bit of water here.
- Next add the Oats, mix every thing, pour 2 cups of water and let it cook.
- Check the consistency of the Upma and keep adding water as required. I like my upma to be a little watery, so I use the full 3 cups.
- Garnish with Coriander leaves and serve with chutney or on its own.
You can also grate the vegetables to enable them to cook faster.
This goes to Priya's Cooking With Whole Foods - Oats that was started by Kiran.