I followed the recipe quiet a bit, but changed it a little. The ingredients are almost the same, but the quantities differ. The way I cooked it is also different. With due credit to Siri, I am rewriting the recipe for reference.
1 Cup Green Lentils - washed and soaked for atleast 6 hours
1 Cup Pearl Barley - washed and soaked for atleast 6 hours
1 Onion - finely chopped
1 big Carrot - cubed
5 cubes of frozen Spinach
1 tsp Garlic Paste
2 cubes Vegetable Stock (I used very low salt one)
1 tsp Cumin Powder
1 tsp Coriander Powder
200gm (1/2 tin) Chopped Tomatoes
2 tbsp Oil
Salt to taste (I used 1.5 tsp)
- Heat oil in a pressure cooker. Once the oil is hot, add the onions and fry for 5 mins till the onions are translucent.
- Now add the carrots and saute for another 5 mins.
- Then add the garlic paste and saute for 2 mins.
- Now add the lentils & barley and mix well.
- Add the cubes of vegetable stock and mix well.
- Now add the tomatoes, cumin powder, coriander powder and spinach cubes and mix well.
- Add 5 cups of water (I added 3.5) and pressure cook for 4 to 5 whistles. I left it for 5 whistles as my son likes his food soft.
- Once the pressure comes down, add salt, mix and serve.
- As Siri pointed out, it tastes really good with curd.
PS: My soup turned out to be a curry as I added less water. I will be adding 5 cups next time.
This is going to Winter Warmers started and hosted by The Veggie Hut
This also goes to Soup Recipes hosted by My Culinary Creations.
This is also going to Priya's bookmarked recipes