Friday 1 October 2010

Jeera Rice / Cumin Flavoured Rice

Simple food is the best. Its easy to make, tastes great and one can never get tired of it. Today’s dish fits into that category perfectly. Its so easy to make and all of us like to have it. We never get tired of it.


When we stayed in Hyderabad, we used to frequent the Dhabas on the outskirts. My favourites there were Roti, Jeera Rice, Butter Chicken and Tarka Dal. When I came to UK, I really missed these. Since Jeera Rice is the one with least preparation, I started trying it out.

When I started preparing this dish about 4 years ago, I used to make it really simple. I finally came up with a recipe and stuck to it until about a year ago. Then my mom came, she changed it a little (its still simple to make) and the taste difference was humungous. Obviously, my mom’s version tastes better so I stuck to it.

We like to have this with any left over curry (veg or non-veg) or with plain curd when we are feeling stuffed.

It might not taste like the Dhaba Jeera Rice, but we like it nevertheless. It’s the closest we can get I suppose.

Ingredients:
1.5 cups Rrice – cooked in 3 cups of water (you can use left over rice as well).
1 Onion – chopped
3 Green Chillies – slit in the middle
1 tsp Mustard Seeds
2 tbsp Cumin Seeds
2 tsp Ginger Garlic Paste
½ tsp Garam Masala Powder (Optional)
Salt to taste
Coriander Leaves to garnish
2 tbsp Oil

Method
  1. Heat oil in a pan. Once hot, add the Mustard Seeds.
  2. When they pop, add the Cumin seeds and let them crackle.
  3. Now add the Green Chillies and fry for 2 minutes.
  4. Then add the Onion and let it brown.
  5. Add the Ginger Garlic Paste and fry till the raw smell disappears.
  6. Now add the salt and mix well.
  7. Add the rice little-by-little and keep mixing so the rice is coated well with the onion masala.
  8. Add the Garam Masala at this stage if you are using and mix well.
  9. Garnish with Coriander Leaves and serve.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for dropping by and leaving your comments. They mean a lot to me and will help me improve my blog.