Sunday 28 February 2016

Dal aur Gajar ka shorba / Lentil and carrot soup

Warm, hearty soups. Who doesn't love them in winter? Accompanied by dinner rolls. Hmmm... Though we hardly had winter in Hyderabad this year, me and my family enjoyed this healthy soup regularly.

I saw this soup on Sanjeev Kapoor's How to Cook show. It was something totally different and I knew I had to try it out. This was a hit and I was making this regularly. Its been very hot recently, so I haven't been making this much. But I am sure I'll make it again in the recent future.


Ingredients
1 cup Toor Dal - Washed, Soaked and Drained
1/4 cup Mung Dal(with husk) - Washed, Soaked and Drained
3 Carrots - Roughly Chopped
10 Garlic Cloves
Juice of half of a lemon
2 cups Water
2 tbsp Oil
Salt to Taste
Chopped Coriander for Garnish

Dry Roast and Grind to a coarse powder.
1 tsp Coriander Seeds
1 tsp Cumin Seeds
6 - 8 Peppercorns
2 - 3 Dry Red Chillies

Method
  1. In a pressure cooker, heat oil.
  2. Add the carrots, Toor Dal, Mung Dal,Garlic Cloves and water and pressure cook till done (about 4 whistles).
  3. Once the pressure is released, add the ground masala powder and salt and mix well.
  4. Add water as needed and puree to a smooth paste.
  5. Add lemon juice and garnish with chopped coriander and serve.


Note: I garnish with a pinch of the ground masala instead of coriander leaves.

This goes to Week 4 of Cooking from Cookbook Challenge Group.

1 comment:

  1. What a hearty and comforting soup that is Swetha. Looks yummy!!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for dropping by and leaving your comments. They mean a lot to me and will help me improve my blog.