Sunday 24 May 2015

Alu - Shimla Mirch Subzi / Potato - Capsicum Curry for CCC

I hate capsicum. I really hate it. Then why did I make this dish, you might ask. For my older one. You see, he's eating new vegetables at school during his lunch. So he comes back and asks me to make that vegetable.

I had been avoiding making this dish for a long time now. I know I was being a bad mother. But I really hate capsicum to that extent. But one fine day, my husband got the vegetable and insisted I make it. I wasn't left with much of a choice then.

My pinni (mother's sister - my usual source of recipes) had given me this recipe when I was in Scotland. She wanted me to make it for Preetham. But I could never get myself to make it. Finally I made it.

Our Cherished World - Alu Capsicum


I can't say I liked it. But my husband and my son liked it. Infact, I made it twice within a week and it was polished. So I guess it wasn't bad. :)

Ingredients:
1 medium Capsicum / Green Pepper - cubed
2 medium Potatoes - chopped into 1 inch pieces
1 medium Onion - chopped
1 medium Tomato - chopped
1 tsp Ginger Garlic Paste
1 tsp Cumin Seeds
1/2 tsp Coriander Powder
1/2 tsp Chilli Powder
1/4 tsp Turmeric Powder
2 tbsp Oil
1/2 cup water
Salt to taste

Method
  1. Heat Oil in a pan. When oil is hot, add the Cumin Seeds and let them sizzle.
  2. Now add the Onions and cook till they change colour.
  3. Add the Ginger Garlic paste and fry till the raw smell goes.
  4. Stir in the Tomatoes, Coriander Powder, Turmeric Powder, Chilli Powder and Salt and cook till the tomatoes are soft.
  5. Now add the Potatoes, Capsicum and half cup water. Mix well and pressure cook for 1 whistle.
  6. Once the pressure goes down, remove and serve hot with rice / rotis.
Our Cherished World - Alu Capsicum

This joins the May Week 4 Cooking from Cookbook Challenge Group.


4 comments:

  1. I love capsicum & specially the first bed we get on India. I also like the ones we get here in the US but feel the taste is slightly different. I don't make bell pepper potato that much but your curry looks good.

    ReplyDelete
  2. We love capsicums and make a dry curry of the same recipe. Pairs well with steamed rice and simple rasam. Subzi looks very delicious

    ReplyDelete
  3. That is a delicious looking curry.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Sounds like a great curry to be paried with rotis..looks very inviting..

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for dropping by and leaving your comments. They mean a lot to me and will help me improve my blog.